We stopped at a garage sale in Mohawk back in 2012, and I spotted some old tin ceiling tiles. They were dirty - like they had been propped up against that garage wall for many, many years. The paint was coming off in places and they were large - 24" x 24". Yep, I needed to get me one of those! I didn't know where I would hang it in the new house, but I knew I would find a spot for it.
I can't remember when the inspiration hit me between the eyes, but I decided somewhere along the way that the perfect room would be the powder room.
And the perfect spot would be above the throne in the powder room.
Of course, we had to preserve the perfect patina of the tin tile. We wiped off the dirt with a dry shop cloth - taking care not to get it too clean! Then, we sealed the back side with a coat of clear spray sealant in a matte finish - not too shiny! We sprayed the front with 2 coats. Perfection!
I had intended to have Steve make a barn wood frame for it one day, but I'm really loving it without a frame right now, so that step may never be necessary. There's still quite a bit of wall space above the tin tile, so I have something in mind for that, too.
Steve will finish up the trim in the room during the coming winter months. Now, if I could just find the towel ring and t.p. holder for the powder room, we'd be all set. It's packed somewhere!
All is well in the Keweenaw.