Make that two problems. The wood (especially the legs) didn't look so great either.
Let the makeover begin!
I removed the seat and set about cleaning the wood and then conditioned it with furniture oil. Looks pretty bad in these before shots.
I had some rummage sale green upholstery fabric on hand from a past project, so I removed the old black fabric and stapled on the green. That would do - for now. . .
but my next trip to Walmart turned up something new. I found this fabric on the sale rack - just the right colors to match our sofa - $4/yard!
Ahhh, much better.
Before and After:
After #1 and After #2:
This chair may not be in the great room forever, as the armoire is currently sitting where the fireplace will be one day; but it was a quick, inexpensive project to fill the space until we reach that point.
All is well in the Keweenaw.