Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Egged

I don't go overboard on my Easter decor - just a few things here and there to remind us of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. When you go to the store at this time of year, you see flowers, jelly beans, Easter bunnies and Easter baskets. Of course, you also see Easter eggs - all kinds of Easter eggs. I'm really not into the Easter bunny - "Here comes Peter Cottontail" - emphasis of Easter. Why talk about a rabbit when we can talk about Jesus

An egg can still represent the true meaning of Easter, however. I remember reading that early Christians stained eggs red in memory of the blood of Jesus Christ. And, I'm sure many of my fellow Sunday School teachers have also used an illustration of an empty egg to represent the empty tomb in Easter object lessons. 
This morning I have brought what I call a real Easter egg. I will show you why I call it a real Easter egg. (Break a pre-prepared empty egg shell.) This egg is empty. That is why I call it a real Easter egg. It reminds me that when Jesus' followers went to His tomb on Easter, the tomb was empty. An angel was there to tell them, "He is not here: for He is risen, as He said." The grave is empty, Jesus isn't in there. He is alive, and because He is alive, we can also have new life in Him. . . .
So, I don't have to completely banish eggs from our Easter decor. They can remind us of Christ, and they can add a nice pop of color to our homes as we near the end of a long black-and-white winter.

I checked out the Easter eggs available at 3 stores on our last trip to Houghton, and I settled on a 10-count package of plastic glitter eggs from Dollar Tree. Most of the other eggs I saw were in pastel colors and/or came apart into 2 pieces, and that's not what I wanted. 

I like sparkly things as much as the next gal, but these glitter eggs seemed just a bit too glam for this house. 

I decided that I needed to rus-tic-ify them. (Yeah, rusticify isn't a word, but I'm going to use it like one!) For this project, I needed one of my go-to materials - twine. I also grabbed by trusty hot glue gun (which may or may not be the reason the index finger on my left hand isn't hitting my keypad well right now). The plan was to wrap the bottom portion of each egg with twine. I covered my work area on the dining table with 2 layers of protective cardboard and got started.


I tried starting from the bottom and going up to the middle, but it worked better when I started in the middle and worked down to the bottom.


I finished 5 of the 10 and then noticed the time. Hmmm. The afternoon was waning, and it was obvious that I wouldn't be done with this project before I had to get dinner on the table. Time to speed things up a bit.

I did some different/faster wrapping techniques on the last 5 eggs.

In retrospect, I'm glad I rushed the completion of this project, as I like the variety in the end result.

After our dinner break, I took my winter snowballs out of the cake dome and exchanged them for my rusticified glitter eggs - on a bed of green paper shreds (instead of the typical Easter grass).

This was another simple project that added a bit of Easter - and a bit of color - to our Keweenaw home. 

All is well in the Keweenaw.

12 comments:

  1. Such pretty and glitzy eggs. I need to craft more. Thanks so much for sharing your cute eggs at DI&DI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the offset of the glitter and twine. It really helps it to stand out above all the others I've seen this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute idea!! These make the perfect Easter center piece! Thanks for sharing on Friday Frenzy Link Party!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly. I actually made a few more this year.

      Delete
  4. You had me laughing at why your finger won't hit the keyboard. That's exactly why I stay away from that hot glue gun. I love your easter eggs. They are the perfect combination of rustic and glam. And that is coming from a true twine lover. Pinning your lovely eggs and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thanks so much for your comment. All glitter just wouldn't do it for me - had to add that twine!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh--my glue gun injuries have left scars!! Cute eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been successful at avoiding glue gun scars - so far! I do, however, have a scar on my wrist from a dishwasher. Don't ask!

      Delete
  6. Very cute! I enjoy both the spiritual and the whimsical side of Easter. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.