Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Monday, March 28, 2016

Antique Cheval Dresser

I'm taking you back into Guest Room 1 today - to show you what's on the wall behind the door.

This piece also came out of my grandmother's house. It's an antique cheval dresser from the late 1800's. Cheval refers to the long mirror mounted on a swivel frame that allows it to be tilted. A 3-piece dresser of this type was often marketed as a gentleman's dresser. The small chest that sits on top of the low chest had 2 drawers (for gloves) and a door that opened to store a hat.

This piece of furniture was sitting in the other guest room since last April (without the mirror), but we've now moved it to Guest Room 1 and Steve attached the mirror. Once again, I was so excited to start cleaning and applying furniture oil that I forgot to take before photos. These are actually during photos.

This was sitting upstairs in my grandma's house and sustained some water damage when her chimney leaked years ago.

Of course, it also has plenty of nicks and scratches from well over 100 years of wear and tear. . .

and the mirror is far from perfect.

But, you know me - a little wear and tear doesn't bother me in the least. It shows some history! Some soapy water and glass cleaner made a big difference. Just ignore those large horizontal black marks.
 The furniture oil improved the look of the wood. . .

and I like the details on this piece.

Could I refinish it? Yes. Many people took these dressers apart back in the 1960's and 70's & often discarded the small chest and mirror and refinished just the bottom dresser. In fact, my older brother has a similar bottom dresser that my mom refinished. I doubt I'll ever paint or refinish this one. Every nick and scratch has a story to tell, so I don't think I have the heart to cover them up.

Again, I think Grandma would be happy to see that it has a new home.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a family-friendly blog.