Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Wild Thing

When we were cleaning out Grandma's house after she died 3 years ago, most of us remarked on the uniqueness of a piece of antique furniture that was in one of the bedrooms. The word "wild" was thrown about a bit, so I've started to refer to the piece as "The Wild Thing." The finish is far from perfect and the mirrors are a little cloudy from age, but that's part of the charm.

The Wild Thing is actually a mahogany Art Noveau etagere or display cabinet. It's been in our basement since April - in back of a lot of boxes. Steve spent some time rearranging/organizing the basement last week. When he got all the boxes moved that were in front of it, he asked me if I wanted him to bring it up. Duh, yeah. I'll gladly spend 2 hours giving it a good cleaning!

I knew I had room for it on our stair landing, so we moved it into place. The stairs, landing and railing aren't "finished" yet, but the piece is so lightweight that it will be easy to move when Steve gets to the stair project this winter. In the meantime, it still gives me more display space.

Here she is decked out for fall and/or Thanksgiving.

It's another piece in our home that has a story, and I'm thankful to have it.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.