Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Let There Be Light(s)

Steve is living out on the property from Monday mornings through Saturday evenings lately - working long, hard days on the new house. Meanwhile, the hours/minutes of daylight we experience each day are steadily decreasing, and that was beginning to hinder his evening work. Therefore, he was excited when he had made enough progress on the electrical to do this back on September 11th:

He just flipped the switch, and the lights came on! Look, Mom, it works from the switch on this side of the kitchen, too!

He felt it was one of those watershed moments that had to be captured with photographs.

Those light bulbs are screwed into temporary fixtures on the kitchen ceiling. Have I mentioned that we are no longer going to have a peninsula/breakfast bar extending from the area where Steve is standing in the last photo? The plans call for that, but I was never really that excited about it, as I thought it may make the area between that and the dining table a little too narrow for my taste. When we put paper templates of the kitchen cabinets on the floor, I realized that I do have enough room for a small island instead of the peninsula. That made me very happy. So, the two bare bulbs you see in these photos mark the locations of the two copper pendants that will hang over the island. The third copper pendant will hang over the kitchen sink. We'll also have four recessed lights in the kitchen, and we'll eventually install some under cabinet lighting. 

We already found a nice slab of butcher block on sale for the island counter top. Since we'll have lots of wood in this house, I will probably have Steve build the island out of maple or pine instead of the black walnut we're going to use for the other kitchen cabinets. Then, I'll paint it - not sure what color yet, though. The possibilities are endless!

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.