Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Friday, September 4, 2015

Sneak Peek Friday - Cookie Jar

I've been showing you bits and pieces of the kitchen and decor, and I'll soon reveal the full kitchen. In the meantime, I'm going to give you a peek at my cookie jar today. I've never used it to hold cookies. It's currently holding microwave popcorn.

I've been toting this cookie jar from place to place since late 1984 - almost 31 years ago now. Wow, it must be really valuable, right?

Nope, sentimental value only. (I saw this same cookie jar on Ebay for $39.97 - in perfect condition.) I received this jar as a gift when I married my first husband, Tom. I don't keep it because it was a wedding gift, however. I keep it because it was given to me by someone very special and important in my life. His name was Dr. Richard Weeks. He was one of my professors at college in Wisconsin. Dr. Weeks was small in stature, but he was a giant in the faith. He had a big intellect and an even bigger heart.

When I was student teaching in Pennsylvania in 1983, he wrote me the most wonderful letters in his beautiful flowing penmanship - filled with godly wisdom and encouragement. I wouldn't be where I am today without his presence in my life. Literally. I would not be in the Keweenaw without him, because I wouldn't have been in Saginaw without him. God used Dr. Weeks to lead me to my job at Community Baptist Church & Christian School in Saginaw in the fall of 1983.

Dr. Weeks has been in heaven since 1993. The inscription on his grave marker reads, "How many souls were encouraged on their journey, helped by his word or prayers, we may not know. Still, this we know - Words of Excelling Grandeur - He 'Walked With God.' While Yet He Walked Below." I was one of those souls he encouraged, and I think of him so often. So, I keep the cookie jar - despite a few chips it has acquired in my many moves.

I'll always keep the cookie jar.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.