Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Monday, September 14, 2015

Pileated Woodpecker

We've heard the hammering of Pileated Woodpeckers many times on our property, but this is the first time I've been able to photograph one.

When I say "hammering," I mean it. The sound of their bill striking a tree really does sound like someone hitting the tree with a hammer. It's that loud. Keep in mind that the Pileated Woodpecker is huge - 16-19 inches long, so they're capable of making quite a racket. 

We watched the pair of woodpeckers go from tree to tree in back of the house last Wednesday morning, but I was only able to capture this one with the camera.

Another cool Keweenaw experience.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.