Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Humming 1234567

We're having so much fun watching our hummingbirds this summer that it's sometimes difficult to leave the great room in the morning. They're active all day from daylight to dark. We have 2 especially aggressive ones around here lately. I thought that only the male hummingbirds were aggressive, but after further observation and research, I now know that's not true. Females can be extremely aggressive - especially when protecting a food source. Here's a female, and I've watched her chase others away from the feeders.

You can tell she has an attitude by the look on her face.

It's hard to count how many hummingbirds we have out here at one time. They move so quickly, and we have 2 feeders within 10-12 feet of each other. We know we had at least 8 at once, but we think we've had 9 sometimes. Of course, this is just when we happen to be watching - and counting. I've only been able to capture 7 at once with my camera.

Two. . .

Three. . .

Four. . .

Five. . .

Six. . .

Seven!

I love how the sunlight enhanced the beautiful iridescent feathers on the hummingbird in this last shot.

Lots of fun! We're going to miss them during the winter months.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.