Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Monday, August 31, 2015

Fog & Rain

If you've noticed the date and time stamps at the end of my blog posts, you may have wondered why I often post at midnight. I'll let you in on a little secret. I'm not normally sitting in front of my computer at midnight. In fact, I'm usually horizontal at that time - but probably not asleep. I often prepare these posts ahead of time. I'll sometimes write 2 or 3 of them in a day and schedule them to post on a specific date at a specific time. That's a feature available to me with Blogger that I truly appreciate, as it's often difficult to set aside enough time 3 or 4 times a week to blog. For example, I'm writing this on Friday, August 28th, but I'm going to schedule it to appear on the blog on Monday, August 31st. My computer doesn't have to be ON for it to post. Once it's scheduled, it will miraculously appear on the right date at the right time. 

OK, back to business.

Our summer has been unusually dry, but we have gotten quite a bit of rain in the last couple of weeks, and it was often accompanied by fog. Here's the view of our 2-track into the woods on the morning of August 19th.

There's something hauntingly beautiful about fog. A nearby campground on the shore of Lake Superior has a web cam. The next photo was taken by that web cam around the same time that day.

Just a short time later, it looked like this.

Now, skipping ahead to another rainy day on August 24th, we had a backyard visitor.

Did you see the hawk? Apparently, it was bath time!

Cool, huh? 

I know, I know, the water needed changing. The hawk didn't seem to mind, though. 

Shortly after these photos were taken, Steve saw the hawk move to a nearby tree limb. Shortly after that, it swooped down and grabbed something off the ground and flew away. Must have needed a snack after bath time. Isn't it amazing how well the hawk's coloring blends in with the rocks and woods?

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.