Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Friday, May 8, 2015

Sneak Peek Friday - The Tall Stand

Remember this woman?

That's my great-great grandmother, Ellen Esther Devoll. She married a Civil War veteran named James Eugene Hoyt.

They had a son named, Clifford James Hoyt (my great grandfather). Clifford married Cleo May Dykes and had a daughter named Thelma Esther Hoyt (my grandmother). Thelma Esther married Charles Robert Hall and had a daughter named Thelma Mae Hall (my mother). Since it's almost Mother's Day, I thought I would give you a peek at the most important piece of furniture in our family - a piece that was made for my great-great grandmother.

James & Ellen had a nephew named Charles P. Wilcox. Charles made 2 pieces of furniture for their home in Brooklyn, Wisconsin in the late 1800's. When Ellen died in 1940, my grandmother inherited her furniture including those 2 pieces. One of them was always called "the tall stand." When my grandmother passed away back in 2012, I became the current caretaker of the tall stand, and it will be passed on to my brother's children when I die. 

Here's your sneak peek at the tall stand.

The detail on this piece is pretty incredible for something that was made completely by hand. Notice all the oak leaves.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.