Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Friday, February 27, 2015

Sneak Peek Friday - Clear & Naughty

I've often seen knotty pine referred to as naughty pine. Of course, they're usually talking about the knotty pine that was popular in homes in the 40's and 50's - heavily varnished - and aged to an amber color. Definitely naughty.
(retrorenovation.com)

Varnish is out nowadays. Good riddance. Some people finish knotty pine with polyurethane; others choose to leave it bare. I'm in the bare camp. Either way, the pine will yellow a bit over time, but it won't turn that dark amber color of aged varnish.

All the walls and ceilings in the new house are done in the knotty pine from our own pine trees. The house is situated in Michigan's (far north) northwoods, and we had to take down a bunch of trees for the buildings and driveway anyway, so why not? It seems quite appropriate for a home in the woods in Keweenaw County. When choosing our interior doors, I could have gone with knotty pine. That's what many people choose to accompany knotty pine walls, but that's knotty pine overload to me (even though our pine isn't the knottiest I've seen). I chose to go with clear pine doors instead, as it gives the eyes some relief from the knots. I have the same philosophy about pairing knotty pine cabinets with knotty pine walls. It's just too much for me. My eyes don't know where to land - what to focus on.

After that lengthy introduction, your sneak peek today is of our clear pine doors with bronze hinges and doorknobs - with and/or without trim in the following photos.

You get an extra close-up of one of the doorknobs.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.