Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Monday, February 2, 2015

Life & Loss

"What moves through us is a silence, a quiet sadness, a longing for one more day, one more word, one more touch. We may not understand why you left this earth so soon, or why you left before we were ready to say goodbye; but little by little, we begin to remember not just that you died, but that you lived. And that your life gave us memories too beautiful to forget." - Author Unknown

I'm thinking of 4 lives and 4 losses today.
  1. We received word last Thursday that Bob passed away suddenly early Thursday morning. Bob visits this area with his family from Florida every summer and attends our church when they're here. He's about my age. His daughter got married less than 2 years ago, and I believe his youngest son graduated from high school that same year. Bob's wife, Carla, teaches K-4 at a Christian school in Florida. They were on a cruise when he suddenly fell ill. His last spoken words were words of love to his wife. Now, she's a widow, and my heart breaks for her. 
  2. I read on an Internet Blog today that Dennis died. I never met Dennis, but I knew of his wife, Ellen, from my days at Maranatha Baptist Bible College. Ellen and I weren't friends, but I've been following her blog about Dennis' battle with brain cancer. This is what she wrote this morning: "At 10:45 today Dennis left his cancer stricken body and was fully healed and in the presence of his Savior. As he left his body, the hymn 'It is Well with My Soul' was playing. It is indeed well with all of our souls. Dennis' soul is in the presence of his Savior whom he has longed to see. I said to him moments after he had left, 'I so wish I could see what your eyes are seeing.' Amazing. He can walk, run, jump and speak."
  3. Today would have been Cliff's 62nd birthday. Cliff was Mom's youngest brother. She was 11 when he was born and she spent a lot of her time mothering him. My brothers and I never called him "Uncle Cliff," as he always seemed more like a brother to us than an uncle. He was our favorite babysitter. Every conversation with him was an education. He was brilliant. His sudden passing back in 2008 left a huge hole in our family, and a day rarely goes by when we don't think of him.
  4. Last, but certainly not least - Daddy Dave, Steve's beloved stepfather. The 2-year anniversary of his passing is coming up in the middle of this month. We speak of him so often. Steve will be forever grateful for Daddy Dave's presence in his life. Even though there were times as a teenager that Steve may not have appreciated Daddy Dave's authority, he has looked back at those times with tremendous thankfulness. Daddy Dave changed his life for the better, and we look forward to our reunion with him in heaven one day.
So, I'm thinking of 4 lives. . . 

and 4 vacant chairs. . .

4 lives that were meaningful. . .

to so many loved ones left behind.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.