Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Friday, August 15, 2014

Sneak Peek Friday

I've been thinking about my grandmother this week. It was 2 years ago this month that we found out she had lung cancer and her days on earth were almost over. She passed away at the age of 95 on September 18, 2012. She told me years ago that I could have her 2 old iron beds, so they are now in my possession - packed away into a nearby storage unit. The following photo shows a little peek at one of them.

It's a full size Cane Panel Bed - circa 1910-1920. Here's a similar bed I found on the Internet listed at $445 unrestored.

Grandma's bed is in better condition. It has some small chips in the paint here and there, but that's part of the charm, so I doubt I'll ever repaint it.

My Aunt Edie gave me another piece that Grandma had in her utility room. It looked pretty rough and the drawer pull was broken. I applied some wood cleaner/conditioner and put an old knob on it. It's far from perfect with a few paint spatters it acquired at some point in time, but it looks much better now.

There's something I love about that little table - maybe because it's another piece with a history. I'll use it for a bedside table in one of the guest bedrooms - probably next to the cane panel bed.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.