Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Little Things

OK, maybe happiness isn't toast and jam to everyone, but it makes us happy. Steve has been spending long days on the property - often leaving very early and coming home for a late dinner. Something that brings us happiness is having a simple breakfast together - homemade bread toasted and slathered with butter and homemade thimbleberry jam. We haven't had a lot of time to do that lately, so when the opportunity arose last week, we enjoyed every moment of it. It's a little thing, but it means a lot to us.

Something happened that I didn't expect when I was doing laundry recently. After the washing machine was finished with a load of darks, I reached in to pull out the wet clothes. I was surprised to discover that a Kleenex (or two) had gone through the wash cycle and was now shredded in a hundred pieces that had adhered themselves to the wet clothes. Oh well, I figured the dryer would help the Kleenex shreds to separate themselves from the clothing, so I tossed everything into the dryer. Sure enough, most of the shreds ended up in the lint trap. I shook everything out as I folded, and all the remaining bits of Kleenex fell free. You may be chastising me right now. "Julie, you should know better at your age. Why didn't you check the pockets?" I have a simple answer. You see, my husband always empties his pockets before putting his clothes in the hamper. Then, how did this happen? Well, I had some extra room left when starting the load, so I grabbed his sweatpants at the last moment to add to the washer. My darling Steve would have checked the pockets before putting them in the hamper.

He also turns all his socks right side out. In fact, all of his clothes are always right side out before he puts them in the hamper - and he does put them in the hamper - never leaves them on the floor. I had to smile when I thought about those things that day. I've never instructed Steve in proper laundry procedures. Those are just little things he does that mean a lot to me.

When Steve is working on the property for the day, he'll call me at some point in the afternoon. He just wants to tell me what he's doing and what's happening on the house project. It takes a few minutes of his time, but it means a lot to me. If he's away overnight for some reason (even if he's deer hunting), he'll always call me every evening. We'll usually end up talking for at least 30 minutes. That's also a little thing that means a lot.
 
If Steve needs to leave early in the morning before I get up, he'll leave the pot of coffee on for me, and he'll put my coffee cup out on the counter next to it - a little thing that means a lot. He'll often leave a love note for me, too. That's another little thing that makes me smile.

What a blessing it is to have a husband who is so kind and considerate - even in the little things. He makes me very happy, and I'm incredibly thankful for him! 

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.