Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

It Just Kept Coming!

If you haven't checked my *Snowfall Chart* page in the left column, you may do so now. I'll wait.

Tap, Tap, Tap.

Yes, I'm still waiting. Take your time.

Twiddlin' my thumbs.

OK, you're back!

Yes, you got that right. 15" of new snow in the last 24 hours. That brings the official total for Keweenaw County up to 204" for the season. I'll do the math for you. That's exactly 17 feet! (February = 33")

Again, that's the total recorded by the Keweenaw County Road Commission. If you've ever been to the Keweenaw and driven up Hwy 41 between Mohawk and Phoenix, you noticed the huge snow gauge at a roadside park on your right. It looks like a gigantic thermometer - impossible to miss. No, you're not the only one who has struck a pose in front of it. It's probably one of the most photographed things in the Keweenaw. Anyway, the Road Commission totals are the ones posted on that sign. If they're on their toes this morning, they should have moved the marker up to 204".

In some parts of the world, one would wait until a snow event is over before they go outside to start moving it around. Keweenaw folks cannot do that. After all, it may continue to snow for days/weeks/months on end. So, my wise Mr. Cut Off spent much of his day outside yesterday doing just that - moving it around. Moving it may include any &/or all of the following: (1) Pushing it with a plow truck. (2) Blowing it with a snowblower. (3) Picking it up and tossing it onto a pile with a shovel. (4) Pushing it aside with a Silver Bear Snow Scoop - a truly genius invention - and I haven't been compensated to say that. (5) Raking it with a roof rake. (6) Digging down into it to expose something such as a dryer vent!

At one point in the late afternoon when Mr. Cut Off was still outside and cleaning off the front steps for the third time yesterday, our eyes met through the window on the door. We both smiled and he looked up to the sky and said, "It just keeps coming!" That's the Keweenaw! 

As Mr. Cut Off always says, "We earn our summers!" Can't imagine ever living anywhere else again.

Oh, can you see the squirrel in that last photo? He's under the tree on the left - below the bird feeder and just above the "na" in Keweenaw. I've got to give him some props for being out there so early this morning - digging birdseed out of the snow - definitely a Yooper squirrel!

All is well in the Keweenaw.

2 comments:

  1. I have to stop by the snow gauge every time I get to the UP. There are pictures of me as a kid all the way through to my adulthood and now with my kids. Starting to look more like winter up there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool that you have photos from all those years taken in the same place!

      Delete

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.