Make a pumpkin out of dollar store socks? Why not? If you're still in the fall crafting mood, you can also make a washcloth pumpkin. Two more simple projects for little or no money!
As I said before, my goal was to create some pumpkins with different patterns and textures than I used last year. I saw some glittery socks on a display near the fall items at Dollar Tree and thought they would make an interesting pumpkin. I grabbed a peach pair, but I exchanged those for a black pair before I left the store.
I thought of stuffing the socks with plastic bags to form the shape of my pumpkin, but I wanted something with a little more weight to it, so I used this glass jar I had instead.
I put the first sock around the bottom of the jar. The middle of this jar was narrower than the bottom, so I folded the sock over a few times to fatten up the middle.
I then put the other sock over the top of the jar - making sure to bring it down over the very top of the other sock - and folded this one up a few times to fatten up the middle a little more.
That left me with something that looked like this.
The stem was formed by wrapping some twine around the top of the jar; and I tied an acorn-shaped bell to a length of curled rope and tied that around the stem.
To make the curled rope: I wet a piece of rope, wrapped it around the round handle of a long spoon and let it dry overnight.
Even though I purchased the Dollar Tree socks, this project isn't really costing me any money. It will be deconstructed at the end of the season. I'll wear the socks as slippers around the house, and the other items can be used again on future projects.
Let's move on to my washcloth pumpkin - another free project.
This pumpkin required a small glass jar, 2 plastic grocery bags, a rubber band, and a washcloth.
I began by wrapping the grocery bags around the jar to fatten it into the shape of a pumpkin.
I placed it in the middle of my washcloth, brought the corners of the washcloth up around the jar, and fastened the ends together with a rubber band.
Next, I wrapped twine around the ends for a long stem - curving it as I went. I then glued a faux leaf to the top of another faux leaf and attached them to the pumpkin with a straight pin. (I didn't want to use hot glue and damage my washcloth.)
I thought I was finished at that point, but decided it needed one more thing. I added a tendril of curled rope between the washcloth and the faux leaves (using the same straight pin).
There you have it. A washcloth pumpkin that has taken up residence in the master bath - until it's deconstructed when the Christmas decor comes out!
I still have at least one more pumpkin project to show you this week, and I'll give you a quick roundup of some other fall-related decor in our home. Yes, I admit to going a little pumpkin crazy this year, but I had fun doing it.
I also have some photos of the beautiful fall colors in the Keweenaw. Look for those soon.