Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Monday, October 20, 2014

My Basement Project

Remember how I said I was working on a project for the new house in our Calumet basement? Remember the trip we made to Menards back in August? We picked up some unfinished cabinets and inexpensive stock countertops for temporary use in the kitchen of our new house. 

After other things in the house are finished, Steve will take his time to make our permanent cabinets out of the black walnut wood from our property in Saginaw. We'll then move these interim cabinets to our basement.

The unnamed project I blogged about back in September was painting the unfinished cabinets. 

I removed all the doors and drawers and numbered all the pieces. I then painted the frames in the barn on our property - 1 primer coat + 2 coats of white paint. The name of the paint color is "snowbound." Appropriate!

Since these were stock cabinets, the "fit" won't be as precise as with our permanent cabinets, but they'll do for the time being.

I also painted the drawers out in the barn.

Steve brought the toe kicks and all the doors back to Calumet for me, so I was able to paint those in the basement.

Again, 1 coat of primer. . .

and 2 coats of paint.

The doors are still in our Calumet basement at the moment, but Steve & our buddy, Josh, moved the frames and drawers from the barn up to the new house on Saturday. Steve isn't ready to set them in place yet, but they're in the building!

By the way, it was 3 years ago yesterday that we made the big move to Calumet from Saginaw - with Cocoa in the back of the pickup truck with her doghouse the whole way! It was 3 years ago today that the movers arrived with our furniture. Time flies!

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.