Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Too Cold?

We've all heard people say, "It's too cold to snow." This month has proved that statement to be false, false, false! It has been very cold - and it has been snowing! At one point on Tuesday, I noticed the temperature was -9° and the "feels like" temperature was -47°. That's BRUTAL! Just before midnight last night, I realized we were having a "January thaw." The temperature here was 20° and it felt like 1°. What an improvement! Of course, it's colder than that now. I then looked at the extended forecast. We aren't supposed to see anything in the 20's again until February 10th - with most days hovering around the 10° mark. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. We do watch the national weather, so we know much of the country has also been suffering with cold temperatures - but most don't have 226.5" of snow.

I said I had some more impressive snow photos to share with you, so here we go. As a reminder, this photo was taken on January 7th.

Now, compare that to the next 3 photos taken last Sunday, January 26th.



Not much of a view out the living room window anymore, is there? Now, you're probably wondering what has happened in the backyard.

Crazy, huh? My grandmother used to hang clothes out on the line during the winter. Impossible here! Not enough room to hang a sock or even a washcloth!

When I awoke yesterday, I was really excited that the sun was shining. I went to the office and threw open the curtains to let in some sun. Here's what I found.

The wind had blown the snow against the windows on the back side of the house. I had to stand on my tiptoes to take the next photo of the backyard through that window.

Has it been too cold to snow? I think not! But, we're not complaining. We still love it here!

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.