Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Monday, January 6, 2014

Paradise


It's no secret that Steve and I love living up here in the Keweenaw. We mention it a lot! It's our idea of paradise. However, I sincerely hope that I never give you the impression that we believe we're smarter or better than any of you because you don't live here. That's silly. We totally "get" why many people choose to live in Florida, Illinois, Wisconsin, North Carolina, lower Michigan or many other places. (We do confess to not "getting" why people would choose to live in New York City or New Jersey, though!)

Now, some of you are wondering: "How could anyone think of the Keweenaw as paradise? It never stops snowing up there!" Believe me, we've talked about it ourselves! Steve and I had never been to the Keweenaw until we visited it together. When we made our first circle tour around the U.P., we saw many beautiful areas, but we couldn't stop thinking about this chunk of land in the far northwestern part of the U.P. We discovered it together, and we fell in love with it together. We daydreamed about it from that time on. We didn't hate living in the Saginaw area, but it has felt really special to start over in a place that was brand new to both us. Our memories here are memories of wonderful times we have spent together. 

Now, some of you are thinking: "You could have moved to a lot of other places that was brand new to both of you." Yes, that's true, but our hearts have been here since our very first trip. It's hard to explain, but it just felt like home to us. Was it the scenic beauty of the hills, trees, rocks or Lake Superior? Was it the people? Was it the history of the area? Was it the lack of crime? Was it the seclusion? I suppose all of that has something to do with it, but it's pretty difficult to explain a feeling. Like I said, it just felt like home, and we believe the Lord wants us here.

Between the ages of 22 and 44, I moved 13 times. I also believe that I was living exactly where the Lord wanted me to live during all those years. My 14th move since age 22 was when Steve and I moved to the Keweenaw when I was 50. I had no children and had moved a lot, so it wasn't an especially brave thing for me to leave Saginaw. I grew up in Wisconsin, and my roots are now scattered. Of course, my mom is here near us, but all my grandparents are gone, one brother is in Illinois and one is in Florida. On the other hand, the Saginaw area is the only place Steve had ever lived. His roots are firmly planted there. It was quite the leap of faith for him to consider leaving the area. That should tell you how much he loves it here. We keep saying that we want to make just one more move - the move from Calumet to our property when the new house is finished. We're hoping our home will remain out there on the Eagle Harbor Road for many years to come - until we make the journey to our final home in heaven.

So, when I go on and on about how great it is to live here, don't let it offend you. We realize the Keweenaw isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's our home - our paradise - at this time in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. (We do confess to not "getting" why people would choose to live in New York City or New Jersey, though!)

    First you have to understand why people live in New York.

    1. There is always someone crazier than you are, always.
    2. People who live in New York don’t think they live in the United States.
    3. The epic feeling you get running to catch a train and succeeding...just before the doors close’s.
    4. There's no shortage of stupid rich people to make fun of.
    5. The 54 is now the new 34.
    6. If you can make it here, you really can make it anywhere. But why would you bother to go anywhere else?

    Will I hope this helps you and Steve with your” Not Getting” about New York. See ya in Time Square?

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.