Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Monday, December 2, 2013

Sunshine and Crockpot Turkey

We had some beautiful sunshine on Thanksgiving Day. I happened to look out the kitchen window, and Cocoa was sitting next to the birch tree with her head tilted up toward the sun. It was so cute that I had to get the camera. Of course, she saw me move, so she moved before I snapped the photo.

My mom was coming for dinner that day, and I decided on a turkey breast instead of an entire turkey for the three of us. If you've never made a turkey breast in a crockpot, don't be afraid. I've done a boneless turkey breast this way before, but I used a bone-in turkey breast this time. It was almost 8 lbs., but I have a large crockpot. 

I put it in the crockpot on HIGH with salt/pepper, chopped onion, a stalk of celery, 1/4 cup chicken broth and a can of cranberries. I started it cavity-side up and flipped it to breast-side up halfway through the cooking time. You can see the cranberries in the cavity in this shot.

When the turkey was finished, I was so involved in getting everything on the table that I never thought to take more photos! A turkey breast made this way doesn't have the crispy skin of a basted turkey made in the oven. It's more like making a turkey in an oven bag. Not crispy, but very, very moist. Anyway, we had a great day with a nice meal and some belly laughs with my mother that evening. If all goes as planned, we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving in our new house next year, and Mom will be living in this house in Calumet. What an exciting thought!

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.