Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Monday, November 20, 2017

Smarter Than Average

I really hate to brag, but I'm convinced that we have especially exceptional wildlife in the Keweenaw - and I now have photographic proof! 

It's no secret that we have a lot of deer frequenting our yard - sometimes 8 or more at once. The snow is so full of tracks that it resembles a railroad yard. We have 2 does that eat the seed directly out of our purple bird feeder that hangs on a shepherd's hook - like it's a baby bottle. They emptied it in about 20 minutes on Saturday and also ate what seed they could find on the ground under the yellow feeder hanging in the tree. One particular doe kept returning to the feeders all afternoon - probably checking to see if they had been replenished at some point. I saw her staring at the yellow feeder and knew she was probably going to do something I had seen her do on several occasions during the last week, so I grabbed the camera.

I sat in Mr. Cut Off's chair by the sliding doors and waited for a good wide shot. Miss Doe saw me, got a little camera shy, and decided to walk away. I figured she'd be back and kept the camera close at hand. Sure enough! She did come back a bit later. I was working on my laptop in another chair when I glanced up and saw this!

Tippitoes are sometimes necessary!

C'mon, she's surely smarter than your average deer!

I love the look on her face in that last shot. It's like she's saying, "So, whaddya think of that?!"  

And I must say that it's really surprising how long a deer can stand on 2 legs!

All is well in the Keweenaw.

2 comments:

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.